“The world would be a peaceful place if it were ruled by women…Women can actually make society civil…Actually it is very straightforward: let women take over.”
Archbishop Desmond Tutu
For the month of August in celebration of Women’s Day, we are doing just that, letting the inspiring women, the real heroes in our community, take over! Women are often the unsung heroes in our community but this month we are hoping to highlight them. We are looking for your hope carrier, impact champion and change agent. Like Aloes, these women are flowering majestically wherever they have been planted.
Nominate someone that inspires and challenges you to be more than you have been in the past or is changing your community for the better.
Between the 9th and 22nd July 2018 anyone residing in Ethekwini is invited to identify women that are making a positive impact in the lives of others. They must reside or be impacting the eThekwini community.
Click HERE to complete the nomination form.
A selection committee will choose the women that will be profiled on our Facebook page throughout the month of August. We want to honour and celebrate these women so that we can show as many people as possible how incredible they are.
“She is clothed with strength and dignity and she laughs without fear of the future.”
– Proverbs 31:25
Terms and conditions:
- The “Celebrating our Real Heroes” initiative is not a competition. There are no prizes. It is a forum to acknowledge and celebrate the contributions of extra-ordinary women to their community.
- 15 women or more, or “Heroes 2018” will be celebrated during the month of August. One for every other day of woman’s month.
- Nominations for “Celebrating our Real Heroes” are open from Monday 9 July 2018 – Monday 22 July 2018 at 23h59. No nominations will be accepted after this time.
- Nominees must have made contributions to communities within the eThekwini Municipal area.
- Nominations may not be for any member of staff or family of We are Durban or Olive Tree Church.
- A committee will review nominations and the 15 women selected to be “Heroes 2018”, will be contacted by the end of July 2018.
- The committee’s decision is final.
- The “Heroes 2018” agree to have their pictures taken and their work and stories to profiled in social media and local media including print and radio.
- The “Celebrating our Real Heroes” initiative is voluntary. Should a selected Hero not wish to participate they may opt out. In such instances the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
- We are Durban may disqualify a nominated “Heroes 2018” before or after any public announcement, should any rule transgressions or factors which may bring We are Durban, its partners, sponsors and stakeholders into disrepute be discovered. In such instances, and if time allows, the committee will select a suitable replacement based on the nominations.
- “Heroes 2018” take part in the initiative at their own risk and We are Durban bears no responsibility for any loss, damage or harm suffered as a result of participation.